Sunday, January 19, 2014

two parties over the weekend

"I, for one, shall welcome our new robot overlords!" -- me at the Star Wars exhibit at the Tech Museum

The weekend rocked as I went to a corporate party as well as our family friend Fennah's reading club!

Lab126 post-holiday celebration

The Lab126 party was held at the Tech Museum in San Jose last night. It was something I had greatly looked forward to as the one in 2013 was amazing. I took my friend Ian as a guest as the event was restricted to full-time employees. Although San Jose is a long drive from my house, Ian was nice enough to let me carpool with him. Thanks, dude!

Like last year, there were lots of food as well as a dance floor. However, the highlight of the evening was the limited-time Star Wars exhibit. It was geek heaven as I've always been a huge Star Wars fan.

The dance floor opened at 9:50 p.m. Our DJ put on great music like he did last time. The downside is that he wouldn't take any requests. Case in point, I suggested some '80s music - which he dismissed as "outdated" despite it still being popular. The DJ also outright refused to play any slow songs even though many guests came as couples. He didn't give a reason other than that he didn't like slow songs.

While I'm in no position to tell the DJ how to do his job, I feel he should have read the crowd better. To be honest, the lack of slow songs and older hits was more than a little disappointing. In his defense, the guy worked with a catering company and probably didn't specialize in mobile entertainment. Perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh on him. At any rate, I've been on my soapbox long enough. ^_^

I've posted some pictures from the party here. You can also read my review of the event.

Fennah's reading club

Today wasn't too shabby either as Mom and I went to Fennah's reading club at Winnie's house. This was our first time attending the club in several months. It was also a new experience as neither of us had been to Winnie's place before.

As with most reading club gatherings, there were lots of food. The party started getting boring after a while as there was nobody else my age. On the other hand, I watched the NFC Championship Game between the San Francisco 49ers and the Seattle Seahawks with Winnie's husband Winston. The 49ers unfortunately lost and thus won't make it to the Super Bowl this year, but it was overall a good game.

As my mother and I were leaving, Winnie gave me a small gift bag with candies and cookies. She also let us take the leftover snacks. Her generosity is truly appreciated. You can go here for the pictures I took at Winnie's house.

This weekend was quite exciting despite being somewhat exhausting. It's too bad I don't have Martin Luther King, Jr. Day off. Of course, that's nothing to complain about, especially considering that I already had two parties.

In other news...

I passed 100 million total experience in RuneScape today. Click here for the screenshot!

Currently reading: The Computer Image by Alan Watt

No comments:

Post a Comment