Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010!

Time flies unbelievably fast. 10 years ago, my family celebrated the rollover with the Liangs. I remember checking my ASUS P6300 laptop to make sure it hadn't stopped working due to the Y2K bug. Has it really been a whole decade?

Speaking of which, 2010 sounds so futuristic. I'm surprised we don't have force fields, anti-gravity drives or plasma rifles yet!

New Year's Eve report

I'm in Chicago at the moment, and this was our first time celebrating the new year out of town. The reason for the trip is to see our relatives and visit some universities. For New Year's Eve, Dad invited our relatives to dinner at the Lee Wing Wah Restaurant. The three of us and my uncle Peter had arrived in Chinatown early with the intention of checking out nearby attractions, but the freezing weather quickly changed our minds.

There was so much food that I was completely full by the end of the meal. Just as we were leaving the restaurant, my parents noticed that Aunt Sue had secretly picked up the tab while we were eating. That made us feel somewhat guilty as the dinner was supposed to be our treat. *blush*

All of us then went to my uncle Da-Wei's house. I got to play Ninja Gaiden II on the Xbox 360 (something I wanted to do on our last visit but didn't get the chance to) and hang out with my cousins Eric and William. As midnight approached, everyone gathered in the living room to watch the countdown to the new year. This was definitely a highlight of our trip.

Other than that, my parents and I didn't stay long afterwards as we have to catch an early flight to NYC in the morning. I'm actually a little sad about parting with our relatives so soon.

2009 in review

It seems 2009 wasn't a good year. For one thing, the economy was terrible. The fact that Dad took a pay cut in January didn't help the issue. Last year also saw the passing of Michael Jackson, one of my favorite celebrities. On a more personal note, I lost my uncle Harrison in April and grandfather Ching-Shang in September.

But the past year wasn't without its merits. The best part of 2009 was when I got a 200 mW green laser for free. I've always wanted a high-powered handheld laser, so that was a dream come true. However, the most important thing is that I finished my undergraduate studies in August. Graduating from Berkeley was no easy task for sure!

You can see the pictures from our dinner here. I was preoccupied with Ninja Gaiden II and had forgotten to take any photos at Da-Wei's house, hence the limited number of them. *facepalm*

In any case, I'm extremely excited about what the future has to offer. For those wondering, my New Year's resolutions for 2010 are to do well in graduate school and improve my patience. All that having been said, I should probably get going as we have to get up around 6 a.m. for our flight to the Big Apple. I'll post a full trip report after getting back home. Stay tuned.

Update: The complete trip report has been posted. I've also added some pictures.

Currently playing: Ninja Gaiden II

No comments:

Post a Comment