Monday, September 27, 2010

just moved to Santa Cruz

I finished moving into my rented room today with the help of my parents. The weather was unbearably hot; I'm glad we didn't have to spend too much time outside. I just got the Wi-Fi password from the landlady and am finally able to post this.

Speaking of which, the homeowner is a woman named Connie. She's really nice and always took the time to answer our questions. This is her first time leasing a room, so we're kind of in the same boat. Her husband Mel passed away seven years ago; Connie says he was an amazing artist and dancer. It's too bad I'll never get to know him. :-(

Connie has three daughters, all of whom are quite attractive. I'm actually staying in the eldest's room. The girls are all away at college at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get to know them better soon enough. The family also has two cats, Tommy and Zoe. They're from the same litter but look very different. Though I'm not exactly a pet person, cats are so darn cute!

In any case, the place is comfortable and has everything I need. It's like my home away from home. I'm still a little nervous as this is my first time renting a room, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as I stay on Connie's good side.

An advantage of living in a home (as opposed to a dorm) is that we didn't have to do too much moving. The bus stop across the street is also extremely convenient. The neighborhood is probably pretty safe as the campus police department is just around the corner. The downside is that there are no nearby grocery stores or cafeterias, but that's a relatively minor thing. I'm blessed to find such a great place to live.

One of the best things about UC Santa Cruz is the beautiful campus. As a nature lover, I'll get to enjoy the great outdoors whenever I head out to class. Life is good.

In other news...

I bumped into my old FAIM 609 professor from St. Mary's College of California at Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon. Small world indeed.

Currently listening to: Tower of Heaven soundtrack - "Stairway to Revelation"

No comments:

Post a Comment