Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving long weekend report

"The thing about Thanksgiving is that it makes you wish you had a bigger stomach." -- Ruth

The long weekend was awesome as my parents and I went to two gatherings and ate lots of good food. It had to be one of our best breaks ever. Read on to find out more!

Thursday

Thanksgiving was pretty fun as our family friend Henry had us over for dinner. Given that it was going to be a busy evening, I spent much of the afternoon listening to online lectures. There was some free time afterwards, during which I watched Superman: Unbound on the Amazon Fire TV.

The party itself totally rocked. The nice thing is that there were several young people; not only were Henry's daughters Ruth and Connie both home, they also had one of their cousins and a couple of friends over. I certainly enjoyed meeting them.

Of course, no Thanksgiving party is complete without lots of tasty food. The Changs treated us to lobster and crab while the Tings brought a turkey dinner from Whole Foods Market. Mom made some of her famous red bean buns as Henry has always been a huge fan of her cooking. The seafood was by far the best part of the meal, although there were all kinds of other good stuff, such as Ruth's homemade butternut squash soup. I was so full that I didn't get to try everything!

The girls invited me to play board games with them after dinner. Let me tell you, Cranium is damn hard if you don't have Wikipedia memorized. We then played Scattergories, and the hilarious thing is that Ruth's boyfriend Steven kept coming up with all those dirty answers. I guess being less than classy has its merits because Steven ultimately won. All of us had such a good time that the party didn't end until well past midnight!

This year, I'm thankful for all the great things that happened in the summer, particularly my cousin Connie's wedding in Pasadena. It was something I had eagerly anticipated, especially considering that I never get invited to weddings. Seeing Connie get married wasn't the only highlight; the San Francisco field trip and my 10-year high school reunion were also quite exciting.

Friday

The local Chinese newspaper had a coupon for a highly-rated Indian restaurant in Millbrae called The Third Eye. The deal was too good to pass up, so we went there for lunch. The coupon turned out to be valid only for dinner, but that wasn't an issue because there was another discount. The buffet was limited but otherwise delicious. I'd say The Third Eye is worth a future visit.

Having done so much the day before, I studied for most of the rest of the afternoon. The evening wasn't too bad as we watched the 1949 film Le Silence de la mer for Henry's film club.

Saturday

Being short on groceries, the three of us went shopping at Costco in the morning. From our experience, Costco usually has lots of samples the weekend after Thanksgiving. There were relatively few samples this time; however, that's probably because we arrived a little earlier than usual.

Later in the evening was the film club meeting. Everyone had a good time discussing Le Silence de la mer while enjoying the snacks. This felt like an extension of the Thanksgiving party to me. I got a bad headache afterwards for some reason, but that fortunately went away after a good night's sleep.

Sunday

I spent much of Sunday studying as the rain made it impossible to go hiking. On the other hand, I had the opportunity to watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes on the Amazon Fire TV in the afternoon. While I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes more, Dawn was nevertheless a good movie.

All in all, the Thanksgiving break was absolutely amazing. I can't wait for New Year's Eve. In the meantime, I've posted some pictures from the long weekend at Flickr.

Currently watching: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment