Saturday, August 29, 2015

Lab126 family picnic report

Today was pretty awesome as my parents and I went to the annual Lab126 family picnic and a V-J Day commemoration.

The picnic took place at Saratoga Springs this year. Let me begin by saying that Saratoga Springs is much nicer than Coyote Ranch. The venue is located in the mountains and has lots of shade, and the surrounding scenery was pretty nice too. There were also carnival-style games, something Coyote Ranch didn't have.

The cool thing is that the Panns also showed up. Spencer and Jennifer were more than excited to touch base with my parents again. This was also my first time seeing their son Robert in almost five years. At Dad's suggestion, I also invited my friend Katie as she has done a lot for me. The more the merrier!

I didn't see many other familiar faces except for a few people that I've worked with before. This was rather surprising, considering that Saratoga Springs is in a more convenient location. I'm not going to lie - lots of my colleagues are missing out.

The food was similar to that served at Coyote Ranch. The drink choices were somewhat limited, and some people complained that the ice cream stand was only available for two hours. However, those were fairly minor things. On the whole, I'd say this was the most enjoyable picnic to date. You can see a few pictures here.

There was an exhibit commemorating the 70th anniversary of V-J Day later in the afternoon. Dad wanted to check it out, so we headed to the Silicon Valley Asian Art Center as the picnic winded down. The reason for coming here is that several folks from Eileen's poetry club were presenting. Some of their relatives were high-ranking officers in the Republic of China Armed Forces during World War II and had some interesting stories. The exhibit was fairly small, although I can't complain about the free food. :-)

Currently listening to: "Surfin' U.S.A." by the Beach Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment