Monday, February 23, 2015

Chinese New Year weekend report + more

I had a great Lunar New Year weekend. The best part is that there were two parties, one at home and the other hosted by the World Financial Group associate program. The bonus XP weekend in RuneScape was also nice. :-)

Chinese New Year's Eve

The fun began when Dad's colleague Po-Kang came over to discuss a project on the 19th. Because it was Chinese New Year's Eve, Mom invited him to stay for supper. She made lots of good food, such as her signature catfish soup and fried rice. Everything was delicious!

This wasn't so much a party as Po-Kang was mainly here for business reasons. However, having someone over made Chinese New Year's Eve much more enjoyable. The not-so-fun part is that I later got a pounding headache, but that fortunately went away after a good night's sleep.

Friday

Happy Chinese New Year!

It's a good thing I didn't have too much work because my parents invited the Tsais, Changs and our family friend Karen over for dinner. Mom again made lots of delicious food for the occasion. The shrimp with homemade XO sauce was my favorite.

The downside is that there was nobody my age. Connie already had other plans while Claire bailed at the last minute for school-related reasons. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against old people - but we barely had any common interests besides food and travel. Damn generation gap. ^_^

On the other hand, there was plenty of time to play RuneScape while the other adults talked. I managed to get level 87 Mining and 84 Smithing by the day's end. Hell yeah!

Saturday

The weather in the morning was just right and made for a perfect hike. There were some trails in Los Altos Hills that my parents had recently discovered. The trails are less than two miles away and conveniently within walking distance. It looks like we now have a new place to go. :-)

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful. I studied for most of the afternoon but did reach 82 Runecrafting in RuneScape during my free time.

Sunday

The local World Financial Group office in Mountain View had a potluck lunch to celebrate Lunar New Year. I've been busy with my job and hadn't attended the workshops in several months, but we happened to have some papers that needed Min's signature. It only made sense for me to stay and enjoy the party.

However, my parents had to run errands and didn't want to drive back to Mountain View to pick me up. I could have walked home on my own but didn't feel like doing so under the hot sun. That said, the party was the best part of the weekend.

I hit 84 Fishing in RuneScape just before going to bed. Considering that Fishing is one of the harder skills to train, the XP boost makes the journey to level 99 slightly less arduous. Even though a few things didn't go to plan, the RuneScape bonus XP weekend certainly made everything even better. I actually gained a total of almost one million XP across my four accounts. Here's to hoping the Year of the Monkey will be just as awesome!

In the meantime, I've posted some pictures from the Chinese New Year weekend.

Currently playing: RuneScape

No comments:

Post a Comment