Monday, February 23, 2015

Chinese New Year weekend report + more

The weekend wasn't too shabby as there were two parties, one at home and the other in Mountain View. I also leveled up several skills in RuneScape thanks to the bonus XP event. :-)

Chinese New Year's Eve

Although not part of the weekend itself, Lunar New Year's Eve also rocked. One of Dad's colleagues came over to discuss a project, and Mom took the opportunity to treat him to supper. As usual, she made lots of good food, such as her signature fried rice and catfish soup. Everything was delicious!

This wasn't so much a social gathering as Po-Kang was mainly here for business reasons. Still, having someone over made Chinese New Year's Eve a lot more enjoyable. The not-so-fun part is that I had a pounding headache in the evening, but that fortunately went away after some rest.

Friday

The weekend had a great start as we invited the Tsais, Changs and our family friend Karen over for dinner. Mom again made lots of delicious food for the occasion; my favorite was the shrimp with homemade XO sauce. Yum!

Alas, there was nobody else my age; Connie already had other plans, and Claire bailed at the last minute out due to school-related issues. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against old people - but it was hard to join the conversation because we barely had any common interests besides Mom's amazing cooking. Damn generation gap. ^_^

Seeing that the topics were mostly above my head, I decided to play RuneScape after dinner. The nice thing is that I managed to get 87 mining and 84 smithing thanks to the XP boost. I can't wait to be able to smith rune.

Saturday

The weather was just right in the morning, during which we went for a hike on some trails in Los Altos Hills that my parents had recently discovered. Located less than two miles from our house, the trails are conveniently within walking distance. I'd say we now have a new favorite hiking spot.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful as I spent much of the afternoon studying. Other than that, I did reach 82 runecrafting in RuneScape later in the evening.

Sunday

Yesterday was also pretty fun as the local World Financial Group office had a potluck lunch. To be honest, I hadn't attended the workshops in several months due to being busy with my job. As there happened to be some papers that needed Min's signature, I figured I might as well check out the event. The party turned out to be the best part of the weekend.

I left early as my parents had to run errands and didn't want to drive back to the WFG office to pick me up. It's not like I couldn't get home by myself, but I didn't feel like walking several miles under the hot sun. That said, having two parties over the weekend is nothing to complain about.

Oh yeah, and I hit 84 fishing in RuneScape just before the bonus XP weekend ended. Considering that fishing is one of the more boring skills in the game, the XP boost makes the journey to level 99 slightly less arduous.

The weekend was totally awesome even though a few things didn't exactly go to plan. The RuneScape bonus XP weekend certainly made everything even better; I gained almost one million total XP across my four accounts. Here's to hoping the Year of the Monkey will be just as awesome!

In the meantime, you can see my pictures from the Chinese New Year weekend here.

Currently playing: RuneScape

No comments:

Post a Comment