Wednesday, December 8, 2010

musings of a Cisco rookie

"You know you're out of college when... you go from 130 days of vacation time to 14." -- joke on the Internet

This was my first day at Cisco Systems. Hello, real world. For those wondering, I'm a software test engineer on the TelePresence team.

Though I only just started, I'm already loving my new job. Everyone is friendly and helpful; my mentors were more than happy to show me the ropes. While I have my own cubicle, most of our work is done in the labs. I've also been issued a ThinkPad W510 laptop. It has an Intel Core i7-720QM processor, 4 GB of RAM and 320 GB of storage. That's better than any of my computers at home. Last but not least, each building has its own cafeteria. They say Cisco is one of the best companies to work for. I can't argue with that.

Of course, the transition from the classroom to the office is no small challenge. The things I'll miss the most about being a student are the dances and month-long vacations; most jobs probably don't even have spring breaks. On the other hand, not having to cram for exams is nice. :-)

Strictly speaking, I don't work directly for Cisco, but as a contractor for a Santa Cruz-based staffing company called The Armada Group. This means my salary is lower than that of a regular employee as Armada has to take a cut. However, I'm certainly not complaining about finding work right after school.

Currently playing: Super Mario BP Oil Spill

No comments:

Post a Comment