Sunday, August 14, 2005

Central California was fun.

So my family went on a two-day trip to the Calaveras County area over the weekend. The trip almost didn't happen because most of the local hotels were fully booked, but my parents were able to book one in Jackson at the last minute. The vacation was pretty enjoyable!

Day 1

There were few attractions on the way to Jackson other than an Asian garden of sorts. The reason for coming here was that Mom wanted ideas for her Chinese paintings. The garden didn't have much except for water lilies, ponds and chicken coops. However, the water lilies were beautiful and made for some nice pictures.

Later in the evening, Dad and I watched Behind Enemy Lines on HBO before going to bed. The special effects were pretty awesome.

Day 2

The three of us visited Calaveras Big Trees State Park in the morning. It was really neat to walk through the hollowed-out sequoia trees. Though the scenery was amazing, my parents and I didn't spend too much time hiking given the high temperatures. On the other hand, Beaver Creek was a great place to cool off. I took off my shoes and waded into the water - something I hadn't done since I was a kid!

The other destination of the day was Columbia State Historic Park in the afternoon. We took a stroll through the park before stopping at the Jack Douglass Saloon for light snacks. It was lots of fun to listen to the live country band while enjoying my chili dog and tomato juice. This was no doubt the highlight of the trip.

On the whole, this trip was one of our best ones ever. It was certainly a great way to end summer!

Currently listening to: "Oh! Darling" by the Beatles

Historical note: Pictures from the trip are available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment