Thursday, October 15, 2020

last day at Intel + future plans

It's a bittersweet day as I was laid off from Intel due to the pandemic. However, things are OK otherwise as I already have a job offer.

End of a chapter

As mentioned earlier, our group took a major hit due to coronavirus-related cancellations. For example, the 2020 Summer Olympics was postponed for at least a year. To cut costs, upper management had to let a lot of people go. It's quite unfortunate because I've been an Intel fan a long time.

Despite recent events, my experience at Intel has been overwhelmingly positive. One memorable moment was going to Oregon last year. It was my first time flying on a private jet and also my first business trip. Oregon is also a beautiful state. Even though I wasn't there for leisure, the trip certainly felt like a vacation to me.

We also had a Diversity Day event last April. It was cool to meet people from different cultures. I also enjoyed trying different foods and watching the performances. Imagine my disappointment when this year's event got canceled due to the pandemic.

I'm definitely a bit sad to leave this job. But what really sucks is not being able to properly say goodbye to my co-workers. Sending a farewell email or message on Slack just isn't the same. However, my manager said she'd love to put together a team reunion once the pandemic is over. It's certainly something I'm looking forward to.

A cross-country move?

The good news is that I already have a verbal offer from Silicon Labs. I'm still in the interview process, but the formal offer should come very soon. It's certainly looks good so far.

But there are also challenges: the team is based all the way in Boston. Although this position is currently remote, I may have to relocate when the pandemic ends. On the bright side, Boston is a pretty nice place. At least that was the case when we went there 15 year ago. I'm excited to see what the future has to offer.

October 16 update: Silicon Labs has sent me a formal offer. I accepted it as this is a company I want to work for. Here's to looking forward to the next chapter.

Currently listening to: Final Fantasy VII soundtrack - "Cid's Theme" by Uematsu Nobuo

No comments:

Post a Comment